Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Mumbai Shenanigans

An afternoon monsoon welcomed us with open arms into this incredible city. With spirits up and emotions high, leaving MICA for Mumbai was a dream come true. Approaching our tour bus, we were delighted to find that the tour would be given while we lounged in spacious, recliner seats. Dozing in and out of sleep, here are some of the pictures I was able to take through the busy city streets of Mumbai. Click for Pics

Scrumptious Taj President breakfasts and sea bass and risotto dinners have made my time at MICA seem like a small price to pay for the vacation of a lifetime that will ensue.


Nightlife in Mumbai (Karaoke songs include: Only in America, of course, Come Together, Waiting for Tonight--unfortunately, we did not get to belt out Endless Love). Delicious food. Fruit (Foreign to us after 4 weeks of anxiety over what can/cannot be consumed). Kingfisher. Rolling ocean waves at the Queen's Necklace on Marine Drive. (On the coast, at dark, lights are strung along the shoreline, resembling a strand of pearls--exquisite.)

Today, Rennie, Brooke and I spent five hours at the Oberoi (ritzy hotel) shops decorating ourselves with precious jewelry and renowned Indian silver. As our search for blue topaz and black diamonds lingered on, we became hungry and a bit tired so we parked it at the Oberoi restaurant for lunch. I feel home. 

I'm not entirely sure what brought about this feeling I had today--somehow I think it is the realization that I have one foot in India as the other can sense the closeness of home. It could also have a little something to do with the leisurely nature of the rest of my time here in India. But, whatever it is, today was one of the first times where I have looked back on the past few weeks and have been shamelessly proud of myself. I think before today, I had only seen the individual negative pieces of the trip, but as they wove together, they became an overwhelming accomplishment, creating a sense of self-actualization inside myself that never existed before and probably would've have without this adventure.

Bollywood studio tomorrow, followed by my final shopping stint. 

To the constant assault on all of your senses, especially your heart.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Good thing you guys got out of Ahmedabad - saw on the BBC news last night that the city is really flooding due to all the heavy rain. And, if I hadn't been following your travels, I don't think I would have known that Ahmedabad is in India!